Pages

Monday, May 14, 2018

Design Wall Monday - May 14, 2018

After two weeks of working on fiddly paper pieced and appliqued triangles, I decided this week to make something with a much easier plan.  This doll quilt is one that I have admired for years in a book, and it was such fun to make.  Here is the original doll quilt, called "Brick Wall"



I pulled reds and creams, pinks, and blacks from my stash.  Cut strips 2.5 inches wide and began to cut "bricks" from various fabrics, and sew them together into long rows (strips).  The rows were joined, and I revised my original plan to add another row to the top to include some more black bricks in the top section.  I whacked off the sides to even it up, and the quilt top is finished.  Easy, peasy, lemon squeezie.  No pinning, no matching of seams anywhere, and no problems.  It was so much fun to make, and was made in a day.  I have a red/black stripes fabric picked out for binding, and plan to round the corners as is shown in the old quilt.

Here is my version:



Measurements are 28" by 30" for the quilt top.  The original quilt is in a book titled "American Folk Art Quilts" by Maggi McCormick Gordon.  This book is available in hardcover, used, for about $4.00 (plus postage) from Thriftbooks.com, if you are interested in getting a copy.  I love to look at quilts in books, don't you?





Spring has arrived in full force here in Michigan, and I'll close today with a picture of our Red Bud tree in the front yard:



Happy Mother's Day to all of you.  Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday each week.  I appreciate you.

Please link back to this post somewhere within your post.  Your design wall posts last week were spectacular.  I looked at some each day during the whole week.  




14 comments:

Ramona said...

Easy, peasy is so nice sometime. What an adorable quilt.

Kate said...

Very pretty! It's always fun to find those projects you can finish in a day.

Quilter Kathy said...

How fun to make a reproduction of a quilt... it looks very similar... well done!

Denise said...

Next time I have left over strips I will have to do something like this instead of another hexie scrap. We went from Winter to summer here in So Illinois.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Gorgeous! Funny how something so simple can put a smile on your face. I love it!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like that pattern, sometimes we just need to make up something simple. I have changed that pattern up a little by just putting a bar and then a square in neutral all the way across alternating - makes it easy and interesting! I've seen the book you show but do not have it. Love your red bud tree - ours bloomed about a month ago - you must be far north!

AnnieO said...

Fast and fun doll quilt, very sweet. I do love to look at quilts in books too. Red bud trees are so very pretty--we don't have them out here on the California coast, but there our neighbor's nectarine trees had pink blooms. Spring happens a lot closer to February, tho :)

Marti said...

I didn't know redbud trees grew up there too. They are such a pretty tree in bloom. Your doll quilt is a perfect replica. Good job!

Bonnie said...

Oh -- I love your redbud. I miss ours at our old home. What a neat little quilt. Please do not encourage my love of books. Used books work just as well as new ones if you ask me!

Sylvia said...

Fun quilt! I love looking at vintage quilts in books. And fun to try an replicate them with fabrics from my stash.

Julie said...

What a great little quilt! It looks very fun and I LOVE your redbud tree. It's one of my favorites, but I have never planted one because we have so many other trees here!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Very simple little quilt but so pretty! Easy quilts are so fun when we get tired of the more challenging. Your redbud tree is beautiful. The leaves are starting to appear on my tree so the blossoms don't show as much. Isn't spring beautiful?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Judy, I love the idea of a quilt that can be made in such a stress free manner and your version is wonderful...of course, I'm partial to reds/pinks/cream as a combination too. What a bargain that book is!

Phyllis said...

your reproduction is lovely. One of my favorite books, like you I love to look at quilts in books and treasure my quilbooks. I also love the simpler quilts most.