Pages

Monday, October 2, 2017

Design Wall Monday - October 2, 2017

Binding is the quilting project for this week.  I finished the binding on the green and white quilt of last week's post, and am now working on binding for a vintage top that I recently had quilted by a long arm quilter.  I bought the top from a friend a few years ago.

I like it because there is a half block on all the outside edges.  It makes it more interesting, don't you think?  I would not usually do it this way, but I like it.
I believe the pattern is a variation of "crossed canoes," with sashing and cornerstones.

Here's a picture of the quilt, (75" by 83") and I have one side of the binding finished:


Here's a quilt from the Quilt Index showing the crossed canoes pattern:


Maker, unknown, Crossed Canoes.  1850-1875.  From Massachusetts Quilt Documentation Project - MassQuilts.  Published in The Quilt Index, http://www.quiltindex.org/fulldisplay.php?kid=1D-FC=F50.



Most double fold bindings are cut at 2.5 or 2.25 inches, but for this quilt, I cut the binding at 2 inches.  The top is vintage, and I used a very thin batting, and I like to have the binding the same width on the front and the back of the quilt. The 2 inch binding is fitting it just fine.  Here's a picture of the binding:




And a close-up of a block:
Blocks are 6.5 by 6.5 and are not appliqued, but pieced of 12 pieces in each block, made 1/4 block at a time.



What are you working on this week?  I love to see what's on your design wall!








6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your two color quilt! I always make my binding a little wider, I never seem to be able to get it just right if I make it as narrow as you do yours - wish I could!

Kate said...

Wow! That is a gorgeous quilt! The thin binding works really well.

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt! I really enjoy finishing vintage projects like this. Nice work on that binding.

Judy D in WA said...

Your quilt is gorgeous!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so beautiful! Love the half blocks too - it makes a great ending

Sara said...

Wow! That is a gorgeous quilts. And you are right about the extra half blocks making a great edge.