Pages

Monday, February 1, 2016

2016 Focus: Using Up the Stash

The 2016 word goal I selected is "Focus", meaning focus on using up my stash and completing some of the projects I have planned.  One part of the goal is to use my collection of fabrics in the two boxes marked "baby quilts".  I am trying to make a baby quilt each month.  Here's January's:



Happy Valentine's Day!  It's a bright cheerful baby quilt, and measures 42" by 54" before quilting and binding.  

I started cutting squares of polka dots fabrics at 6.5 inches, with no plan in mind.  Then I decided to make stars, using two blocks, a "snowball" block and a plain block.  I used my design wall to lay out what I needed to make stars, and was not sure if there would be enough contrast between the reds and the multicolored fabric.  I took a black and white photo and, yes, there is plenty of contrast.  It's an easy trick:



First, I mixed up the star points fabrics with the star middles, but it seemed a little "too much" going on, so I rearranged things to make the star points match the middles.....all except one of them.  It's just how the scraps worked out that I didn't have enough of that one to match it up.  And it looks fine.  Here's a closeup of the one different fabrics star:




It is an easy quilt to make, and I will be making it again, for sure.  Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. Here's a picture of the quilt top,  flat on the floor:



This was such a welcome change of pace from my usual tiny pieces quilts, and went together so quickly.  I have February's quilt squares cut out and on the design wall.  It feels so good to accomplish some of my new goals.  January....Check!

I'm linking up with Design Wall Mondays, as usual, at Judy Laquidara's blog, to see what others are working on.  (Here)











5 comments:

Karen said...

Sweet red star quilt and would be nice to display for Valentine's Day. I do not have much to put out for that special day.
Using up stash is an endless job. Nice to be able to have fabric to pull from on a whim but there always seems to be something replacing it.

Unknown said...

Very sweet for baby or valentine! I like the goal you set yourself too. Good stash buster.

Jill said...

What an adorable quilt! I love your selection of red polka dot fabrics!

Ranch Wife said...

What a great start for your baby quilt a month goal! I love polka dots and it made such a darling star quilt.

Lori said...

That's very cute!!