Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Motivational Tips - One Every Month

Every time I walk into my quilt room, I mentally say "you should put that away.....you should do this.....you should do that.....yada, yada, yada.  Do you talk to yourself like this too?  Well, I'm now beginning to motivate myself (and maybe others) by offering a monthly tip to keep us on track.  My goal:  completing more quilts and keeping my quilting areas tidy.  I work better when I am not mentally talking to myself about other things while I'm trying to quilt!


Today I worked on my cutting table:

Here's what happened:  I set the timer for 5 minutes, and put away as many things as I could before the timer rang.  

Here's a before and after picture with the timer setting routine:

Before:


After:


I do confess it was 2 bouts with the 5 minute drill, but only 2!  After 10 minutes, doesn't that look better?  Just 10 minutes!   Let me know if you set the timer and played fast pickup at your house.

Now I can look up from my sewing machine and admire my clean work area.  Yes I can keep my room clean, Mom!

FYI, The two framed samplers are first embroidery attempts.  The one on the right was done by me when I was eleven years old, and the one on the left was done by my daughter when she was ten.  Here's a closer look at them.  These make me smile whenever I walk up to my cutting area.







These are "primitive" before primitives were fashionable.  LOL


8 comments:

Hanne said...

Hello there :-)
The chair blocks i part of the Some Kind of Wonderful quilt, by Anni Downs.
I hope you are well :-)

Terri said...

New reader here :D I use a timer for so many things! I usually set it to keep from surfing the day away on the computer, when I should be putting stuff away in my own craft room. I'm currently re-organizing my stitching room and the timer is coming in handy for me.

Kindred Quilts said...

I like the timer idea! Your framed embroideries are so precious! What a wonderful way to show them off... and they are certainly worthy of that!

Annette said...

I always play little mind games with myself to get my chores done...or another row of piecing a quilt, etc. I love the timer idea. I'm going to have to get me one of those. Your stitcheries are such treasures. They make me smile too.

Leah Rubin said...

Good tip!

I LOVE the samplers! Wish I had some of the ones I did (at my mom's insistence) when I was little. This is so touching, to see yours and Christa's together on your sewing room wall!

One Minnesota Quilter said...

I use the timer a lot and talk to myself a lot....but need to clean up more. :)
The framed embroideries are very sweet. Wonderful memories.....

Judy :)

Lori said...

Love the samplers! Can't help but smile when you see them.

I'm a timer girl myself. I get distracted easily so it keeps me on task.

Jane's Addicted. said...

haha - the timer game! I don't clean anything without setting a timer. sometimes i even hum an urgent tune... sad, but true.